Building Sustainability from the Ground Up.
SCS Standards is a leader in the field of sustainability standards, combining scientific expertise across a wide variety of industries with more than three decades of experience to develop leadership standards to drive sustainable development and a circular economy.
Our standards are developed in alignment with best practices and guidelines provided by internationally recognized bodies such as ANSI, ISEAL and ISO to ensure a robust, transparent and collaborative approach.
Standards are drafted by our inhouse experts based on scientific data and research. This draft is reviewed by a Standard Development Committee consisting of representatives of industry, potential users, NGOs, and subject matter experts. During this period, pilot assessments may also be conducted to test the draft standard against real-world conditions. The Standard Development Committee provides comments, leading to preparation of a final draft for public stakeholder review and consultation.
We are committed to providing a transparent forum for receiving and addressing comments in a way that improves the standards we develop. Standards in development are posted for review and comments for a minimum of 60 days. We reach out to a wide range of stakeholders for comment to assure a balance of perspectives. After incorporating feedback and completing an internal review, we will make available, upon request, versions of the standard with a summary of our response(s) to stakeholder comments.
Final Standard Draft
Our team incorporates stakeholder feedback, and completes an internal review. If deemed necessary, another 30-day public consultation is held. Upon completing this process, the standard is finalized, published, and available for use.
Just as industry practices and scientific understanding evolve over time, so do our Standards.
We review and update our standards at regular intervals to ensure they remain relevant and continue to drive leadership in sustainability. In addition, we accept and review comments and revision suggestions on an ongoing basis.
SCS Standards in Development
- SCS 007 WD1: Sustainably Produced DiamondsSustainably Produced Diamond is the first sustainability standard in the diamond and jewelry market and will provide third-party verification for producers and retailers globally.
Take a look at our current standards
- ASC Chain of Custody
- ASC Farm
- BIFMA level
- Biodegradable Cleaning and Sanitation ProductsBiodegradable certification assures that cleaners, degreasers, detergents, and soaps degrade safely without harmful chemical build-up in the environment.
- FEMB LEVEL
- FSC Chain of Custody
- FSC Controlled Wood
- FSC Forest Management
- GlobalG.A.P. Harmonized Produce Safety Standard V1.0 (HPSS)
- GlobalG.A.P. Mexico GAP V4.0
- GlobalG.A.P. Option 1 V4.0
- GlobalG.A.P. Option 2 V4.0
- Indoor Air QualityIndoor Air Quality certification assures that interior building materials and furniture support a healthy indoor environment by meeting strict chemical emission limits for volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- LegalHarvest Verification (LHV)SCS Legal Harvest™ verification supports timber trading by helping to prevent inadvertent violations of timber legality regulations, regardless of geographic location.
- MSC Chain of Custody
- MSC Fisheries
- National Organic Program (NOP)
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC ST 2002:2013 Chain of Custody of Forest Based Products)
- Recycled ContentRecycled Content certification confirms that products contain specified percentages of recycled content from pre-consumer and post-consumer sources.
- Responsible Recycled Source FibersResponsible Source™ Certification of synthetic fibers and resins confirms that these materials are made with at least 85% recycled material.
- Responsibly Managed PeatlandsThe Veriflora® Responsibly Managed Peatlands program is the world’s leading certification for sustainable peat moss cultivation.
- Roundtable on Sustainable Biomaterials (RSB)
- Roundtable on Sustinable Palm Oil (RSPO) Principles & Criteria (P&C)
- Roundtable on Sustinable Palm Oil (RSPO) Supply Chain
- Safe Quality Foods (SQF Code Edition 7)
- Salvaged Wood and Fiber VerificationSCS Salvaged Wood and Fiber verification recognizes the responsible recovery of un-utilized wood and other cellulosic biomaterial resources, assuring buyers and customers that local and national legal requirements have been met.
- Sustainable Biomass Program (SBP) Biomass Producer
- Sustainable Biomass Program (SBP) Supply Chain
- Sustainably Grown®Sustainably Grown® certified products meet the highest standards of environmental, social and economic sustainability.
- SVLK Timber Legality VerificationSCS Legal Harvest™ verification in the chain of custody verification supports timber trading by helping users avoid the inadvertent use of wood in violation of timber legality regulations, regardless of geographic location.
- Veriflora® Sustainably GrownVeriFlora Sustainably Grown® certified cut flowers and horticultural plants meet the highest standards of environmental, social and economic sustainability.