Building Sustainability from the Ground Up.
SCS Standards is a leader in the field of sustainability standards, combining scientific expertise across a wide variety of industries with more than three decades of experience to develop leadership standards to drive sustainable development and a circular economy.
Our standards are developed in alignment with best practices and guidelines provided by internationally recognized bodies such as ANSI, ISEAL and ISO to ensure a robust, transparent and collaborative approach.
Standards are drafted by our inhouse experts based on scientific data and research. This draft is reviewed by a Standard Development Committee consisting of representatives of industry, potential users, NGOs, and subject matter experts. During this period, pilot assessments may also be conducted to test the draft standard against real-world conditions. The Standard Development Committee provides comments, leading to preparation of a final draft for public stakeholder review and consultation.
We are committed to providing a transparent forum for receiving and addressing comments in a way that improves the standards we develop. Standards in development are posted for review and comments for a minimum of 60 days. We reach out to a wide range of stakeholders for comment to assure a balance of perspectives. After incorporating feedback and completing an internal review, we will make available, upon request, versions of the standard with a summary of our response(s) to stakeholder comments.
Final Standard Draft
Our team incorporates stakeholder feedback, and completes an internal review. If deemed necessary, another 30-day public consultation is held. Upon completing this process, the standard is finalized, published, and available for use.
Just as industry practices and scientific understanding evolve over time, so do our Standards.
We review and update our standards at regular intervals to ensure they remain relevant and continue to drive leadership in sustainability. In addition, we accept and review comments and revision suggestions on an ongoing basis.
SCS Standards in Development
Certification Standard for Sustainability Rated Diamonds
Standard Number: SCS-007
Development Stage: Working draft
Public Consultation Period: CLOSED
Public Consultation period was January 13 – March 15, 2021 and is now closed. Comments are being considered. Please contact us below if you have any questions. You can obtain a copy of the Draft Standard here.
Take a look at our current standards
- Certification Standard for Pesticide Residue Free FoodPesticide residue free certification is a pesticide residue management and product safety program available to growers using conventional, integrated pest management, organic and biodynamic farming methods.
- Certification Standard for Pesticide Free FoodProviding maximum assurance to consumers looking for products that are grown without any pesticides
- Certification Standard for Recycling ProgramsThe SCS Recycling Program Certification helps recyclers and reclamation facilities make credible claims about their diversion strategies and recycling rates.
- Certification Standard for Biodegradable Cleaning and Sanitation ProductsSCS Biodegradable certification for cleaners, degreasers, detergents, and soaps biodegrade fully and harmlessly in the environment.
- Certification Standard for Indoor Air Quality – Building Products and FurnitureSCS Indoor Air Quality Certification is recognized by the EPA and GSA, and qualifies for many building rating systems, including LEED v4, BREEAM, WELL Building, and Living Building Challenge.
- Certification Standard for Gluten Free FoodsSCS Global Services Gluten-Free Standard certifies foods and beverages to requirements of no more than 10 parts per million of gluten.
- Certification Standard for Zero Waste FacilitiesCompanies can lower their environmental impact and carbon footprint, and significantly improve their environmental stewardship, corporate responsibility profile, and ESG rankings.
- Certification Standard for Responsibly Sourced Synthetic Fibers and ResinsCertified Responsible Source™ confirms that synthetic fiber and resin have been produced in accordance with fundamental benchmarks of environmental, social and ethical accountability.
- Certification Standard for Responsibly Sourced Metals and GemstonesRequires the use of recycled metals and gemstones, actively avoiding conflict metals and materials from questionable or illegal sources, and meets rigorous social and environmental accountability, including risk management throughout the supply chain.
- Certification Standard for Responsibly Sourced Precious MetalsThis Standard describes the requirements for third-party substantiation of the claims asserted by precious metal recycling companies and jewelry manufacturers with responsible recycled sources of precious metals.
- Verification Standard for Timber Legality AssessmentLegalHarvest™ Verification is available to forest managers, sawmills, pulp mills, secondary manufacturers, distributors, retailers, and groups of associated organizations as well as entire supply chains.
- Verification Standard for Timber Legality Assessment – Adapted by CountryLegalHarvest™ Verification is available to forest managers, sawmills, pulp mills, secondary manufacturers, distributors, retailers, and groups of associated organizations as well as entire supply chains.
- Verification Standard for Salvaged Wood and FiberSalvaged Wood Verification allows organizations to demonstrate to customers that their salvaged woods were obtained legally and in an environmentally responsible manner.