Building Sustainability from the Ground Up.
SCS Standards is a leader in the field of sustainability standards, combining scientific expertise across a wide variety of industries with more than three decades of experience to develop leadership standards to drive sustainable development and a circular economy.
Our standards are developed in alignment with best practices and guidelines provided by internationally recognized bodies such as ANSI, ISEAL and ISO to ensure a robust, transparent and collaborative approach.
The Standards Development process is rooted in transparency, due process, and strict policies, procedures and oversight. Learn more about the SCS Standards development oversight.
ANSI Accredited Standard Developer (ASD)
We are accredited to develop standards under the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) process, which includes openness, balance and consensus. ANSI standards support U.S. business competitiveness and protect the health and welfare of people and the planet. The U.S. government encourages the use of voluntary consensus standards (OMB Circular A-119) in procurement and regulatory applications.
SCS Global Standards
For international application, we develop global standards that advance the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), aimed at alleviating growing pressures on natural resources, minimizing emissions and wastes, supporting workers and local communities, and satisfying the needs of producers, consumers and stakeholders. All standards are geared toward providing measurable benefits and transparency.
Featured Standard: Diamonds
SCS-007 (Part 1) – Sustainability Rated Diamonds sets the highest standards of ethical and environmental responsibility. It is the first comprehensive, multi-stakeholder sustainability standard for both natural and laboratory grown diamonds. This source-to-market standard includes producers, handlers throughout chain of custody, and retailers, featuring unmatched sustainability metrics.
Serve as the catalyst to advance the private and public sectors in achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, the blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees has ultimate responsibility for the activities of SCS Standards. This group ensures SCS Standards compliance with by-laws, regulations, and policies and procedures.
Advance the mission using domestic and international standards development best practices
Build stronger communities through environmental and sustainable stewardship
Take accountability for yesterday through changes made today in protection of tomorrow
Nurture innovative ideas that challenge the status quo, foster environmental protection and restoration, and assure human dignity
Set leadership standards that use data and metrics to drive results and lasting change
Seek partnerships with others who share our commitment to bold action on behalf of a sustainable economy and healthy planet
SCS Standards’ Work Plan in 2021 and 2022.
SCS Standards for Public Review
Certification Standard for Sustainably Grown Agricultural Crops
Standard Number: SCS-001
Public Consultation Period: CLOSEDCertified Sustainably Grown® certified products meet the highest standards of environmental, social, and economic sustainability.
SCS Standards for Trial Use
Published SCS Standards
- SCS-007 Sustainability Rated DiamondsFirst comprehensive, multi-stakeholder sustainability standard serving the entire gemstone diamond and jewelry market, backed by third-party certification.
- Certification Standard for Pesticide Residue Free FoodPesticide residue free certification is a pesticide residue management and product safety program available to growers using conventional, integrated pest management, organic and biodynamic farming methods.
- Certification Standard for Pesticide Free FoodProviding maximum assurance to consumers looking for products that are grown without any pesticides
- Certification Standard for Recycling ProgramsThe SCS Recycling Program Certification helps recyclers and reclamation facilities make credible claims about their diversion strategies and recycling rates.
- Certification Standard for Biodegradable Cleaning and Sanitation ProductsSCS Biodegradable certification for cleaners, degreasers, detergents, and soaps biodegrade fully and harmlessly in the environment.
- Certification Standard for Indoor Air Quality – Building Products and FurnitureSCS Indoor Air Quality Certification is recognized by the EPA and GSA, and qualifies for many building rating systems, including LEED v4, BREEAM, WELL Building, and Living Building Challenge.
- Certification Standard for Carbon Neutral Entities, Buildings, Products and ServicesSCS Standards serve as the catalyst to advance the private and public sectors in achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, the blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet.
- Certification Standard for Gluten Free FoodsSCS Global Services Gluten-Free Standard certifies foods and beverages to requirements of no more than 10 parts per million of gluten.
- Certification Standard for Zero Waste FacilitiesCompanies can lower their environmental impact and carbon footprint, and significantly improve their environmental stewardship, corporate responsibility profile, and ESG rankings.
- Certification Standard for Zero Waste ProjectSCS Standards serve as the catalyst to advance the private and public sectors in achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, the blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet.
- Certification Standard for Zero Waste EventSCS Standards serve as the catalyst to advance the private and public sectors in achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, the blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet
- Certification Standard for Responsibly Sourced Synthetic Fibers and ResinsCertified Responsible Source™ confirms that synthetic fiber and resin have been produced in accordance with fundamental benchmarks of environmental, social and ethical accountability.
- Certification Standard for Responsibly Sourced Metals and GemstonesRequires the use of recycled metals and gemstones, actively avoiding conflict metals and materials from questionable or illegal sources, and meets rigorous social and environmental accountability, including risk management throughout the supply chain.
- Certification Standard for Responsibly Sourced Precious MetalsThis Standard describes the requirements for third-party substantiation of the claims asserted by precious metal recycling companies and jewelry manufacturers with responsible recycled sources of precious metals.
- Verification Standard for Timber Legality AssessmentLegalHarvest™ Verification is available to forest managers, sawmills, pulp mills, secondary manufacturers, distributors, retailers, and groups of associated organizations as well as entire supply chains.
- Verification Standard for Timber Legality Assessment – Adapted by CountryLegalHarvest™ Verification is available to forest managers, sawmills, pulp mills, secondary manufacturers, distributors, retailers, and groups of associated organizations as well as entire supply chains.
- Verification Standard for Salvaged Wood and FiberSalvaged Wood Verification allows organizations to demonstrate to customers that their salvaged woods were obtained legally and in an environmentally responsible manner.